Receiver and Trustee Services
State Court Receivers
Brincko Group recognizes that receiverships can provide some bankruptcy benefits without the high cost or lengthy proceedings associated with bankruptcy cases as well as better control of the wind-down and liquidation process. We maintain a team of highly experienced professionals ready to provide cost-effective and efficient liquidation of failed businesses as State-appointed receivers, while maximizing the value of the receivership assets. Our experience in this field includes:
- Good Company – furniture manufacturer and real estate investor. Wound down the business and sold in excess of $25 million in real estate assets.
- Pacific Title and Art Studio – post-production film company. Appointed Receiver when the company’s equity sponsors declined to contribute any additional funds. We operated the business until all the work in process was completed and all the outstanding receivables were collected. The company’s assets were liquidated through an auction process.
- 3636 Sepulveda – Brincko Group was appointed as receiver for a multi-family residential property with 100 plus units in West Los Angeles valued at $33 million. We managed the property until such time as a new buyer was able to complete the purchase and assume control.
- Stila Cosmetics – cosmetics manufacturer. We managed the bid process and sale transaction of the business as a going concern which resulted in the company being sold at an enhanced enterprise value with creditors receiving more than twice the anticipated liquidation value.
- Gerawan Farms – agribusiness in the Central Valley of California, growing table grapes and tree fruit.
Chapter 11 and Liquidating Trustee
A chapter 11 trustee assumes management and control of the bankruptcy estate from the debtor and serves as a fiduciary responsible to the parties in interest in the case. Brincko Group has assembled an experienced team who will capably and expeditiously administer the estate for the benefit of the creditors, as well as the debtor, using sound business and professional judgment based on its more than 30 years of experience in the field. Some of the cases where we have acted as chapter 11 or liquidating trustee include:
- Franchise Pictures LLC – major motion picture studio. Appointed CRO and Liquidating Trustee. Negotiated the sale of rights to the motion pictures free and clear of all liens, which resulted in a substantial recovery for unsecured creditors.
- Knudsen Foods / Foremost Dairies – $2 billion food services company. We directed all restructuring activities, brought in over 20 people to run the company after all the executives resigned, and managed turnaround efforts. Mr. Brincko’s tenure as CEO resulted in the sale of all the company’s divisions with significant recoveries for unsecured creditors.
- Metabolife International – major diet supplement manufacturer and distributor. Liquidated all of its assets and negotiated and settled highly contentious litigation and claims objections.
- Strouds, The Linen Experts – a publicly traded company. Brincko Group’s engagement resulted in a successful restructuring and sale to an investor group and senior management.
- Copeland’s Sports – West Cost chain of sporting goods stores. As CEO and CFO, we successfully sold the majority of the stores to one of its leading competitors. All claims were settled and the remaining assets were liquidated.
- National Consumer Mortgage – mortgage brokerage company. The company filed for bankruptcy and Mr. Brincko was appointed as chapter 11 trustee upon the discovery of a major Ponzi scheme perpetrated by one of the principals of the company. Brincko Group conducted a forensic investigation and recreated the financial records of the company, conducted a preference analysis and pursued preferential payments in order to maximize the assets of the estate.
- Sun World International – worldwide marketer of fresh fruits and vegetables. This company filed for bankruptcy as a result of the uncovering of significant fraudulent operating and financial activities. Brincko Group brought in an entirely new management team, negotiated new financing and turned the company around, resulting in significant profits and a subsequent sale.